Best Family Dog
The Best Family Dog Newsletter is free and chock full of great dog psychology tricks. Sign up for my newsletter and discover new dog training tips and tricks.
As a special welcome gift I will even send you a FREE copy of my new book:
"Identifying and Overcoming Dog Behavior Problems: How You Can Make Life with Your Family Dog Better"
Are You A Dog Person?
This website is especially made for those people who plan to take on a dog and those who already have one. The simple fact that you opened this website proves that you are interested and eager to get as much information as possible. So let’s start right away!
What can be cuter and more endearing than a little fluffy puppy with great eyes that looks up to you? Or what is more heartbreaking than the thousands of dogs in shelters all over the world? Your heart is melting and you want to bring home such a dog immediately! But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don’t just take on a dog on a whim!!! A dog is a living creature, not a book you put aside when you don’t want it any longer. The goal of this website is to keep the dog’s well fare in mind. Too many dogs end up in shelters. This can be prevented when the idea of taking on a dog is really considered well in advance.
First of all, you have to ask yourself a couple of questions, and be totally honest answering them. Are you a dog person? The following questions and tests will help you to find out if a best family dog is the perfect companion for you.
- Do you and all of your family members agree on taking a dog?
- Is everybody in your family free of allergic reactions to pets?
- Can you financially afford a dog, considering it needs daily food and drink, as well as regular visits to the vet and in case of illness special medical attention, even when it gets older?
- Can you take your pet to a groomer regularly or are you willing to take on this task yourself?
- If you’re going on holidays, are you willing to take your best family dog along, or can you find a good pension for him for the time being?
- Are you prepared to take your dog for a walk at least 3 times a day, rain or shine, and this for at least 30 minutes each time? Know that every dog, now matter how big or small, needs daily exercise and not just a stroll around the block.
- Are you prepared to clean up after your dog?
- Are you prepared to give your dog proper training, and take it to classes in a dog school? Are you prepared to learn the right way of handling a dog and to be a good leader?
If the answer to the above questions is definitely yes, feel free to move on to our best family dog tests. If not, please seriously reconsider if taking a dog is the right thing to do!
- You just ended cleaning. Everything is shining and the house smells like a spring morning……then your best family dog charges in from the backyard after he has been digging for a rat!
- Start cleaning your windows. Are they clean? OK. Put some grease on your hands and put them against the windows. Repeat this at least twice a day!
- If you take your dog in the car to the woods or the sea, at the end of the week, the back of your car will look like a barn!
- If you’re going for a puppy, imagine sleeping four or five days with a wining puppy in the house. Eventually, this phase will pass, but can be very annoying for your family and for the neighbors!
- Second problem in puppy land: imagine cleaning up wee and pooh several times a day!
- If you intend to allow your dog on the bed, first try to sleep with a bag of potatoes! And yes ladies, remember that not only your husband snores! Staying in bed a little longer is also out of the question!
- If you regularly invite friends to your house, imagine them to sit on the couch, then throw a bag of potatoes on their lap and rub their faces several times with a wet sponge!
- The neighbor’s cat is on tranquillizers…. because your dog is chasing it up a tree and then the fire brigade has to come around because the cat is too afraid to climb down!
- You are going to an exquisite party all dressed up…..your dog may think you would look even better with a set of paws on your new white blouse!
- You are planning to make a juicy roast for the evening meal. Unless you have been practicing to open and close the fridge in less than 10 seconds, it‘s…….bye bye roast!
Needless to say that the above tests represent only a few problems which may occur, but can be avoided or redirected with correct discipline, consistency, good leadership and affection from your part.
And last, but certainly not least, never leave children unattended with your or any dog at all. In an ideal world dogs should be friendly companions and kids should know how to handle a dog and respect it. In reality, we know that this isn’t always the case. So, to prevent nasty things from happening, you should always be alert with children and dogs.
However, don’t let this discourage you to buy a dog. By teaching your dog the rules of the house, giving it discipline and affection, even you and your children can enjoy a well-behaved, loveable and ever loyal friend!
The purpose of this website is to give you lots of information about different dog topics in order to find the best family dog. So feel free to explore the different topics on our website and start looking for the best family dog!
- Choosing a family dog
- Choosing a family dog is exciting business! These simple tips will give you a headstart to a successful search.
- Adopting a dog that will best fit in your family
- A brief guide to adopting a dog, advantages, what to avoid, and how to make the experience as joyous as can be for your entire family and of course your dog
- Family dog breeds - why top 10 lists fail
- Family dog breeds are often times listed in a most popular list of breeds that fit well in a family setting, but you need a little more information than that.
- Dog Friendly Holidays - Checklist and Tips
- Need dog friendly holidays? Read about vaccinations and medical examinations your dog must have in certain countries.
- Dog Body Language
- Understanding dog body language: Can you speak “dog”? These simple tips will quickly help you understand what your dog is trying to tell you.
- Dog separation anxiety
- Dealing with dog separation anxiety: how to make life more comfortable for you and your dog. A few must-know tips if your dog doesn't like to be alone.
- Dog food aggression - Best to deal with it
- To understand dog food aggression issues we must, once again, go back to the basics of dog psychology and quickly remedy the aggression
- Is your dog humping? How to deal with dog mounting problems.
- Dog humping or dog mounting behavior can be one of the most annoying things a dog owner has to deal with. Learn how to reduce the frequency drastically.
- Dog Chewing - Different Reasons Why Dogs And Puppies Chew
- Answers to dog chewing questions - Teething, exploring, play time, but also anxiety or other less obvious reasons
- Choosing the right puppy
- Choosing the right puppy begins with finding a reputable dog breeder. These easy tips will help you pick the best life long family dog.
- House training a puppy
- Contrary to popular belief, house training a puppy is easy. These easy tips will allow you to book success right away!
- Basic puppy training
- Your basic puppy training guide - discover simple yet effective tricks to train your puppy
- Tips on puppy training
- Discover some great tips on puppy training - Your puppy's first commands explained in an easy way
- Learn about dog clicker training and how it works
- Discover why dog clicker training is a somewhat controversial technique and see whether you are in a good position to clicker train your dog
- Socializing your dog should be a fun and rewarding experience
- Socializing your dog with other pets, kids, strangers and even cats will be a lot of fun with these simple tips and techniques that are easy to master
- Dog obedience school - Pick the right one
- Which dog obedience school is best for you and your family dog? You and your pet will benefit tremendously from the right school.
- Be the dog pack leader for your dog: guide to perfect behaviour
- Your presence as the dog pack leader will result in excellent dog behaviour and other dog owners will be impressed with the bond between you and your dog
- Dog leash training made easy. And Fun!
- Dog leash training secrets - Once we understand WHY our dog is pulling the leash we can put into practice a few simple tricks that will correct the behavior
- All about dog crates and dog crate training
- Everything you ever wanted to know about dog crates and dog crate training - Collapsible decorative, heavy duty, car, dog shipping, luxury crates and more.
- Dog Exercise - Why your dog needs exercise and how to give it
- The importance of giving your dog exercise and different exercise techniques.
- Dog Collars - How to choose the right collar for your dog.
- Everything there is to know about dog collars in general.
- Dog Leashes - Picking the right leash for your dog.
- Use the following tips about dog leashes to find the right leash for your pooch.
- Organic Dog Food - Avoid Unnatural Ingredients
- My tips on organic dog food. Learn how to protect your dog from preservatives, pesticides, herbicides and other harmful additives.
- Homemade Dog Food vs Commercial Dog Food
- Considerations about homemade dog food and how it compares to the well-balanced commercial foods on the market today.
- Why Use Dog Supplements?
- Dog supplements - What are they, why would your dog benefit from them, what are the most commonly used supplements and other questions answered
- Neutering a dog: behavioral effects, age and other questions
- Have questions around neutering a dog? We can help with answers on the best age, health effects, behavioral effects and different opinions
- Spaying a dog - control dog overpopulation
- My guide to spaying a dog: not only to reduce the number of unwanted puppies being born, but also increasing your dog's health.
- Hypoallergenic dogs - fewer allergy symptoms
- Hypoallergenic dogs - Get a dog and suffer, or do without the companionship of a canine friend? You have other options!
- Dog Grooming - care and cleaning of your dog
- Your dog grooming guide with do it yourself tips and information on equipment, schools, supplies, clippers, dog bonding tips and more.
- Dog bath - dreaded chore or quick and simple task?
- Tips for a quick and easy dog bath, without the back ache or messy bathroom cleanups and without dangerous side effects for your dog's health
- Dog Ear Infection - Eardrum Intact?
- Knowing how to deal with a dog ear infection can save your dog from hearing loss. Read about symptoms, treatment and prevention.
- My dog health care tips and
- Dog health care information to keep your dog in top condition and avoid expensive vet bills. Common questions, little-known facts, pet health insurance and more.
- Questions about dog shots? Find answers here.
- Essential info on dog shots, what you need to know in order to prevent a number of serious, contagious canine diseases.
- Dog worms types and how they can affect your dog
- Different dog worms types: roundworm, tapeworm, hookworm, whipworm - learn about the symptoms, treatment of worms and other parasites
- Dog bad breath information, questions and remedies
- Assess your dog bad breath situation, learn how to avoid gum disease or other more serious conditions and learn how to cure bad breath problems
- Senior Dogs - What You Need to Know as Your Dog Ages
- Answers to questions about senior dogs, telltales that determine when dogs are entering the stage of seniority and how to deal with it.
- Alternative Dog Therapies - Why use alternative dog therapies?
- Anwers to question on alternative dog therapies.
- Best Family Dog Blog
- Stay up-to-date with the latest news on family dog topics
- Why Exercise for Senior Dogs is Essential to Ensure Them of a Healthy Old Age
- Exercise for senior dogs: regular light exercise to keep your dog fit and vital in his old days.
- Dog Barking - Key to Stopping it is Understanding Why Your Dog is Barking
- Is your dog barking excessively? Learn about the different types of barkers and discover how easy it can be to change this unwanted behaviour.